Ars Nova kicks off its 2013 season with The Netflix Plays, which begins performances January 30. This production, the newest installment from Ars Nova's Play Group, is set to play 10 performances from January 30 - February 9. The Netflix Plays, this year's incarnation of Ars Nova's annual Play Group production, features original short plays and live music inspired by the recommendation categories on the Netflix website.
The Netflix Plays features Kyle Beltran (Off-Broadway: 10 Things to Do Before I Die), Deonna Bouye (Alligator and The Tall Girls - 2012 Eugene O'Neill Playwrights Conference; How We Got On - 2012 Humana Festival); Barrio Grrrl! by Quiara Alegria Hudes - The Kennedy Center), Nadia Bowers (Broadway: The Farnsworth Invention, Doubt, Metamorphoses; Off-B'way: Wildflower), Megan Byrne (Off-B'way: The Voice of the Turtle - Keen Company), Ben Graney (B'way: War Horse; Off-B'way When the Rain Starts Falling), Drew McVety (B'way: Cyrano de Bergerac, Billy Elliot, Sunday in the Park with George, others), Sarah Steele (Off-B'way: Slowgirl, Russian Transport, All-American, Speech and Debate; Film: Margaret) and Eddie Kaye Thomas (B'way: The Diary of Anne Frank; Off-B'way: Golden Age, The Submission, Bachelorette; Film: American Pie).
The Netflix Plays features new works by Rachel Bonds, Sarah Burgess, Sarah Gancher, Nick Gandiello, Dipika Guha, Stephen Karam, Jon Kern, Josh Koenigsberg, Michael Mitnick, Sharyn Rothstein, A. Zell Williams and Bess Wohl. (bios follow)
The directors for The Netflix Plays are Jess Chayes, Wes Grantom, Jesse Jou and Portia Krieger. (bios follow) Costume Design is by Tilly Grimes. Lighting Design is by Driscoll Otto. Sound Design is by Josh Millican. Projection Design is by Dan Scully. Prop Design is by Noah Mease. Live Music by Brandon Goodman, Ryan Henry, Chris Moses Kinlow and Jo Lampert. The Production Stage Manager is Amy Ehrenberg.
The Netflix Plays are as follows (each evening features the full slate of plays):
· Because You Watched Weekend at Bernie's 2: A Kantian Morality Tale
by Josh Koenigsberg, directed by Wes Grantom
· Because You Watched Sherlock: Jack of Hearts
by Rachel Bonds, directed by Portia Krieger
· Understated Foreign Coming of Age: December 2011, Budapest
by Sarah Gancher, directed by Jess Chayes
· Inscrutable European-Set Thrillers: Bolzano
by Sarah Burgess, directed by Jesse Jou
· Because You Watched Downton Abbey: Violently Overstated British Period Drama for ages 19-100
by Dipika Guha, directed by Jesse Jou
· Watch It Again: Happy New Year
by Bess Wohl, directed by Jess Chayes
· Heartfelt Noncontroversial Political Tearjerkers: October Surprise!
by Sharyn Rothstein, directed by Jess Chayes
· Inspiring Fight-the-System Movies Based on Real Life: The Cable Bill
by Jon Kern, directed by Wes Grantom
· Emotional Foreign Father-Daughter Films: The Foreign Affair
by A. Zell Williams, directed by Jesse Jou
· Hip-Hop Documentaries: How I Feel
by Nick Gandiello, directed by Portia Krieger
· Because You Watched Frasier: BECAUSE YOU WATCHED FRASIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Michael Mitnick, directed by Portia Krieger
· Watch It Again!
by Stephen Karam, directed by Wes Grantom